Friday, May 12, 2017

AWANA Wrap-up

This evening we wrapped up a year long commitment in the AWANA program at church. AWANA stands for "Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed" from 2 Timothy 2:15. The kids have faithfully attended church on Sunday evenings to work through the Bible curriculum to help draw them closer to the word and in result closer to Him. I pray the verses they memorized are hidden in their hearts for years to come, as you never know when you might need them.

On Sunday evening Finn and Allyson had their award ceremony.
Finn has really came out of his shell this school year. When we used to work in his 3 year old class he would not say a word nearly the entire class, it almost broke my heart. He is a sharp boy and talks a ton at home, but he isn't big on crowds. And then something snapped about half way through this school year and he became comfortable in his skin. I had a couple of his AWANA teachers tell me that he was quite the talker and has really opened up in class. I received the same feedback at our CC community from his tutor. Such a blessing to see him feel comfortable around others.
He even got a picture with Cubbie Bear. {Shawn and I were a little worried that the bear would scare off the preschoolers, but Finn didn't hesitate and ran right up to get his picture taken with him.}
Allyson walking across the stage to get her ribbon. If I'm being honest this was a tough year for Ally in AWANA. For some reason she struggled going to class about midway through the year. I still cannot tell you if it was another kid or fears or what. It was hard, there were tears and all. We prayed. Shawn and I both took turns going into class with her and we encouraged her to stick it out and finish the course that she had started. She was not quitting. So, as I look at this picture of her walking across the stage, I am very thankful for her endurance and a good attitude to finish strong. Real life over here.
Tonight Jase's group had their awards ceremony.
Along with completing his book, he also competed in Bible Quiz, which tested his knowledge on the Bible {via an individual written test and as a team during the multiple choice and speed rounds}. It took place on April 22nd and other local churches were represented as well. 4 weeks prior to Bible Quiz he practiced at church and at home memorizing additional scriptures and key ideas of verses. Next 3 pics are from Bible Quiz.
On stage with his team.
They won 4th place in their age division! Way to go!!
A short clip of his team on stage. He is in the group in the front right.
Meanwhile back at the awards program...
Proud of him and his hard work he put in!
A silly picture I took of him in the chapel when we were goofing around {nah, not me!} and it turned out to be my favorite one!

No comments: