Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dining Room Redo

Well, we finished! We've had plans for our dining room for a few months now and this past week we wrapped it up.  About 2-3 months ago we sold our bar height dining room table. It was very nice and seated 8, but it felt too big for our space and it wasn't working for me with the little ones. I knew I wanted a farmhouse table; something simple, but with a big tabletop.

I found some ideas on Pinterest and then ended up finding a guy on Craigslist that was making and selling them in Katy for around $400.  Shawn called the guy and we made plans to visit his shop, but at the last minute Shawn was looking at the construction online and said "I can do this, I can build it!" I said "ok, if you are up for it then let's do it!" We found these in depth instructions on Pinterest for a style that I really liked and ran with it.

Shawn visited Lowe's and Home Depot many times and we spent several late nights in the garage, but it looks great and I love it! I sanded and painted our old chairs from our very first table {from over 9 years ago} to match the table and they fit in wonderfully. Our table is 31 inches tall, 7 feet long and 4 feet wide.  And my favorite feature are the 2x6's that run the length of the table as a foot rest! Below is table at different stages.


Here is the finished product!


And we updated all the decor on the walls.  I love how eclectic it all looks and it feels like us! The circle mirror we found at Kirkland's and it looks like it was made to go with the table.


While Shawn was building this table, he also built one for the back porch.  It is a few inches taller and is 8 feet long, but other than that it is the same construction.  The bottom is a bright orange, which gives it some pop! It is finished and on the back porch now.  :-)  He built 2 benches for this one and they need a little more work before they make their way out of the garage, but we hope to have them completed in the next couple of weeks. Kudos to my hubby for all of his hard work, love you babe!

No comments: