Friday, February 27, 2015

A real snow day

I opened the window today and wow, it was snowing. Shawn had told me when he left for work this morning that it might snow today, but when I opened the blinds and saw the snow, it really caught me off guard. Coming from a place where it might snow once every 5-8 years, snow is kind of a big deal for us. Here is some video footage of our front and backyard this morning.
I actually had to get out of the house today. I had a homeschool meeting about 5 miles away that I wanted to attend. So, I packed up the 4 kids and myself and we headed out the door. What normally takes 10 minutes took 45. The pace was slow! We met at Subway and the kids did great while I was at the meeting. Sandwiches and cookies from Subway and books from home...a great combination! Here I am getting back in the car, I had snow all in my hair. First time for that and driving in the snow as well.
On the way back home I snapped some shots on the street leading into our neighborhood. Quite a bit of snow in our neck of the woods.
These pictures below of our a beautiful homestead. You can notice the main house is on the right and the barn is on the left. This is a beautiful piece of property and they normally have huge longhorns out front. This home is on the right-hand side of the road as you turn into our neighborhood.
And here is our home when arriving back home today. I had to try twice to get up the driveway. Jase was freaking out a bit. Ha! There was so much snow, I could not get traction to get in the garage. I finally got it and the kids were happy I was able to park in the garage!!
Here is some footage from late this afternoon of our backyard. What a difference from the video from this morning. It is probably 3-4 inches deep. Our poor dog was having a hard time finding a spot to use the restroom. He was also having a hard time breathing; he is the whistling sound you hear. Poor pup.
All of this snow reminds me of a song by Audrey Assad: Winter Snow. So good. Below are the lyrics and you can listen to it here. Take a listen if you have a few minutes; you'll have it on repeat before you know it!
 
Verse 1
Could’ve come like a mighty storm
with all the strength of a hurricane
You could’ve come like a forest fire
with the power of heaven in your flame

Chorus
But you came like a winter snow
quiet and soft and slow
Falling from the sky in the night
to the earth below
                        
Verse 2
Could’ve swept in like a tidal wave
or an ocean to ravish our hearts
You could have come through like a roaring flood
to wipe away the things we’ve scarred
 
Bridge
No, your voice wasn’t in a bush burning
No, your voice wasn’t in a rushing wind
It was still, it was small, it was hidden

No comments: