Sunday, February 10, 2013

Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread

I took the trash out this evening and when I came back in I found 2 ripe bananas sitting on the counter. Never fails, every time I take out the trash I always find something else that could have gone in it!

I thought about freezing the bananas and making bread another day, but nah...what fun is that?! I got a wild hair and decided to look up a banana nut bread recipe to see if i had all of the ingredients. I've never made banana nut bread from scratch, so I was going to give it a go!

I found this recipe and I had everything it called for. I substituted applesauce for the oil and didn't quite use 1/2 cup of honey (I did not want the honey to overtake the taste). I put it in the oven and went upstairs to tuck the kids in. After praying with Ally I decided to go downstairs and check on it...I could smell it cooking as I walked down the stairs. Don't you love when your whole house smells scrumptious from baking? Cookies, cake, brownies...I'm not partial, I love it all! ;-) I added 5 more minutes on the timer and went back upstairs and tucked Jase in.

I ended up cooking it probably for 60 minutes; the recipe calls for 50-55. I let it cool and then put Finn to bed. {It's a juggling act these days!} After I laid him down I came back into the kitchen for a little taste test. It was still warm, perfect! I. Am. A. Fan. And some of my walnut pieces were a little chunky and I think those were my favorite bites! Oh and don't forget to top with real butter!

When I bake it next time I think I am going to add some brown sugar in the mixture and on top! It was so yummy I thought I would share!



No comments: