Friday, March 15, 2013

More than just a date

For a couple of weeks, today has been looming over my head and I know my mom's head for sure. 28 years ago today, my Papa past away. I was 4 1/2 when he died, so I don't remember a whole lot, but I do know that he loved me a lot! Even though the kids have never seen him, I've told them about him. Yesterday we were talking and I said "Papa, Nanny's daddy" and Jase said "I know Papa Mickey". Melted my heart.

I always tried to remember to call my Nana on his birthday and this day to tell her hello and that I loved her and to tell her I cared. Since she is in heaven with him now, no call will be made, but a few tears are being shed for him and her.

And one more date, tomorrow is my Uncle Billy's birthday; he'll be 57. Since the fall of 2011 he has been fighting cancer. He had a tumor form on his face and it did quite a bit of damage to say the least. He has been such a fighter.

Well, this week he was transferred to a hospice hospital since he could no longer take care of himself or administer his own medicine. He doesn't really have an appetite and is in a lot of pain. Our family has been praying for him everyday, that The Lord would take away his pain. And I know He will take it away soon. We are also praying for his brothers and sisters, as I know they have been there right along with him through this journey. They've seen him diminish right before their eyes. I believe The Lord will reward their faithfulness they've shown to their brother. Praying for his teenage daughter too, as I cannot imagine losing a parent.

A lot of emotion this weekend. Praising God for his salvation and eternal life in heaven for the believer. To know that I'll see Nana and Papa again is so refreshing. And that a mom and dad will see their son very soon is not bitter sweet for them at all, but will be completely joyful.

All of these dates make me realize just how short life is and to make the most out of what I am given here on earth.

Lord, help me to keep my eyes on you all the days of my life. May my actions, thoughts and words be pleasing to you.

No comments: