Sunday, March 23, 2014

Opening Day

Saturday was opening day for Jase's baseball season. The big parade, the first game...all would take place! Shawn and Jase headed up to decorate the trailer and me the two younger kiddos took our place to catch some candy and cheer the teams on. 
 Jase and his team had a blast throwing candy to the fans. 
Later that evening we played our game. It was not pretty. 15-0...we were run ruled in the 4th. We are in coach pitch this spring {just like we were in fall ball} and our poor boys did not hit the ball well at all. And if they did get a hit, they were thrown out. Not trying to be negative, but the first three innings were 3 up, 3 down. And our first base hit did not come until the 4th inning. Meanwhile, the other team scored 5 runs each inning. We just did not hit well or field well. It made for a pretty tough game for Angels' fans {and players}. I do realize they are only 7 years old and you want them to have a good time and learn the sport, but on the other hand you've seen their potential at practice {and home} and it is hard when that doesn't shine through at the game.

After the game {and a little hitting practice} we grabbed a bite to eat before heading home. At the dinner table we talked to Jase about the game and situational plays and strategies for next time. But more importantly, Shawn shared his heart with Jase. He told him if he never hit a ball all season long or never got an out, he would love him just the same. It is not how he performs on the field that determines how much we love him or how proud we are of him. If I can share my heart with you, it reminded me of the grace that God extends to us. He doesn't love us because we are good or do good things. No. He loves us because we are His creation and we are made for His glory. This is the story of the gospel, the story of the bible.

"Everyone who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him. You are My witnesses," says the Lord, "And My servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, nor shall there be after Me. I, even I, am the Lord, and besides Me there is no savior."
Isaiah 43: 7,10-11

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
Romans 5:8-9 

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:8-10

These verses are so reassuring to me and I pray they are the same for you. Praise the Lord I do not have to be "good enough" to enter the kingdom of Heaven {because I would never be}. It is by grace through faith in Jesus that seals my destiny. Do you genuinely believe this?

No comments: