Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Junior Angler

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Junior Angler class that our city was offering for free and thought Jase would enjoy it.  But at 8:20 am and 0 out of 3 kids were awake and this class started at 9:00 am, the thought crossed my mind "maybe we'll just sit this one out."  Jase ended up sleeping through his alarm we had set...he was out!  I finally got all 3 kids up, dressed, hair combed and teeth brushed and out the door.  Now we were a few minutes late, but not too bad.

Here is my little man checking in with the instructor and getting his checklist of the stations he would be attending and the tasks he would be learning.


On the way there, I double checked to make sure he knew my cell phone number just in case something were to happen.  Glad to report he has it down pat.  I stuck around for a few minutes to make sure all was ok and then me and the little kids headed back home. {I never just drop him off anywhere, so this was a new experience for both of us.}


I arrived a few minutes early to see the class in action.  I was able to see him receive his certificate, pin and a bag of goodies. Boy was he excited!


Now his goodie bag really had some neat books in it, especially considering it was a free class.  It contained two pocket fish guides, one for freshwater and one for salt water, a notepad, two more informational pamphlets and a laminated common fish guide.  He was stoked about it all and couldn't wait to show Daddy everything when he got home. And just showing Daddy did not stop there! Jase broke out the rod and reel and showed us how to put on a bobber and both he and Daddy practiced casting in the backyard!  We even watched World Fishing Network before bed! 


Here is a small clip of one of the stations they had set-up at the camp to practice casting.  The kids were "catching" magnetic fish and practicing reeling in slow and "working" the lure to catch the fish. Before I had arrived, Jase told me that he had caught a sheepshead.  Glad he got one beforehand because he was having some trouble while I was there! ;-)

He could not stop talking about this camp and I'm so glad he was able to go!  Now we just need to go fishing!

{Sorry if some of the pictures are blurry, I had Finn in hand!}

No comments: