Sunday, June 16, 2013

New Headboard!

Once we decided we weren't moving to Africa back in February, one of the first things we went out and bought was a new mattress...KING baby!  My back has been giving me issues off and on since I delivered Finn.  At first I thought it was my sciatic nerve, but after going to the chiropractor a couple of times, he suggested it might be my mattress and/or the way I am sleeping.  Now Finn doesn't start off in our bed, but he usually ends up there and I am still nursing, so I usually end up sleeping on my side with my arm up and right on the edge of the bed.  I'd like to say that things have changed with my sleeping position since getting a king, but they haven't.  Now I will say that my back has hurt significantly less since getting the new mattress! YAY!

Almost forgot that this post was about a headboard! ;)  Since we upgraded from a queen to a king, we no longer had a headboard.  And we really didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a new bedroom suite. So, we decided to make a headboard! We were driving home from a friend's house one night about 2 months ago and I saw someone had put sections of an old fence on the curb. {I've had my eye on some Pinterest headboards for a while!} Shawn called a buddy around midnight to help him load up the fence and bring it back to our house.  What a friend!! 

Long story short {if possible}: Shawn took all the fence posts off the sections, we sanded them down, assembled them and attached them to some boards on the back {all reclaimed wood}. He then lightly rolled on some white paint {watered back 2 parts paint and 1 part water} we had on hand. He sampled putting polyurethane on it, but it gave it an off-white color and I wanted to keep the bright white since my bedding is white. 

We screwed it right into the wall and wa-lah!!


I absolutely love how it turned out.  So simple and rustic, it is us for sure. I have not found that perfect color I want to accent our bedroom with yet, but will know when I find the right throw pillows.  :)  So, for the picture I stole some pillows and a throw from the living room!


And since we are doing a rustic theme, let's just throw a deer mount in the mix as well! ;-)  Shawn shot this this past deer season and did the European mount himself and I think it turned out great.  At first, this thing was NOT coming inside...garage only.  Then after he put it on some fence boards it made it's way closer to the house on the back porch.  And after we put up the headboard, we thought it would tie in great with the room.  And if I'm being honest, I like it.  Call me Country!


Can't wait to share the finished product of what he is working on now!  Here's a clue!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks great! I love the rustic look.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I like the pillows and throw so you should switch the ones at the living room! LOL

-Ana