Wednesday, May 21, 2014

That's a Wrap

Jase officially wrapped up 1st grade this past Friday! So so proud of him! He has worked so hard this past school year to finish up his curriculum and we are looking forward to summer! I am taking this week off (and maybe next week too), but we will continue to maintain "school" 2-3 days a week during the summer. We hope to wrap up our United States geography study, finish our Robin Hood unit study (which he loves), and begin a unit study on the Pioneer days. He is excited about our summer of learning and I hope it continues to be that way for him. Way to go Jase!!
If I'm being completely honest, homeschooling can be a challenge at times. You're the teacher and parent at the same time. On the flip side of that, I have thoroughly enjoyed this past school year. It went much smoother than his Kindergarten year. Not once this past school year did I have second thoughts of Plan B for his education. I had plenty of "back-up plans" during his Kindergarten year, but this year seemed much easier for both of us. I love watching him learn and seeing him get excited as I read books to him. His first year I said we were day-by-day and it seems like that terminology has moved to year-by-year, but I am coming to the realization that this might be what we do until he graduates high school and I am excited about that.

The plan this summer is to continue to work with Jase on the items I listed above, but to mainly focus on Ally and get her prepped for Kindergarten. She is completely different than Jase and I love that. Academically she is not at the level he was at this time of the year (now he was 4 months older when he started Kinder), but she has other strengths I am hoping we can expand upon. She loves to draw pictures and just sit at the table and "do crafts" for hours. She has such a wonderful imagination...I can just see the stories she can come up with and the drawings to match. Plus her love for flowers is off the charts; I hope to weave that into her curriculum some how. I am definitely wired more like Jase, so I can relate a little easier to his learning style, but I am looking forward to broadening my horizons and engaging Allyson this next school year.

No comments: