Thursday, May 16, 2013

Food chain

See this cute little bird? This was taken yesterday in our backyard. He was just hiding out in our peach tree.


Today I was watering the garden and I saw this same little bird hopping around; he couldn't fly. Ally was in the garden with me and she was watching him hop, it was too cute! Then he got out of the garden though our makeshift gate. The dogs were out, so I started to panic a little and I told Jase to go over by the bird so the dogs would not get him. It wasn't 15 seconds later and here comes Hank, he spotted it! I started yelling "no Hankie no!" I was trying to hold it somewhat together since my kids were watching me and I didn't want to make too big of a scene. But Hank just took that bird and that was that. :(  {On a side note we have been giving Hank medicine a few times a week because he is on his last leg. He has a herniated disc in his back and gets to where he cannot walk at times. Pain meds one day and killing birds the next!} 


A few minutes later the kids were swinging and Jase tells me "it's ok Mom. That's how God designed it. It's the food chain. Birds eat worms and dogs eat birds." He is a pretty emotional kid at times, so I was a little surprised (in a good way) by his answer. I mean I probably could have shed a tear, but I said "you're right Jase." 

Later we came inside and Jase went upstairs and got two books and brought them to me. They were pictures of animals eating each other. He was explaining the food chain and telling me that lions are on top. ;) Just love this kid! 



No comments: