Thursday, August 15, 2013

Better late than never

Before I delivered Finn I was on the hunt for a diaper bag. I looked at several, both new and used. I finally came across a Vera Bradley on Craigslist that was less than 1/2 the price. It was a print that was retired, but I felt it was boyish enough for Shawn to carry, yet stylish enough for me. Win-Win! {Truth be told, he would have loved a backpack, but that didn't quite work out . . . maybe baby 4! Haha!} Anyhow, I ended up buying a matching tech case {which is basically big enough to put your iPhone in, some money and cards} because I wouldn't be carrying a purse for some time. And while I was searching for items in this print, I came across some matching fabric! I was pumped!

My plan was to cover a wipe case and everything would be matchy-matchy. :-) Fast forward over 1 year later . . . I never did it! Geez! My sister even offered to do it for me, but of course I told her I would do it.  I was going through a drawer this past weekend and came across the long lost fabric! So, I was feeling a little crafty this afternoon and decided to give it a go.

First, I estimated the length of the diaper case and cut out two rectangles. Next, I glued them onto some thicker white material with Liquid Stitch. Normally when we cover a case we use minky, which is thicker and doe need to be backed with any other fabric. But since the Vera material was really thin, it needed another layer behind it. 


I then glued both sides down to the wipe with a hot glue gun. I used a mini glue gun and it took about 3 sticks of glue. Next, I got some trim from Hobby Lobby and hot glued it around both edges to finish off the edges. 


Voila! Only a year late, but I have a matching wipe case. And since he is no longer taking bottles or drinking formula I'm sure we'll be down sizing bags soon! Oh well, I just made it more marketable for the resale! 

No comments: