Sunday, December 1, 2013

Master Suite Project

Ok, so we don't have a huge master suite, but it sounds so much fancier than just plain ole bedroom! Last week we started AND finished a project that I've been wanting to do since coming back from Round Top. I purchased this ladder below for $15 and I knew I wanted it in my bedroom somewhere. {The color matched well with my throw pillows.} I originally thought about hanging it from the ceiling and then thought about hanging it on the wall above my headboard. After looking at it, I knew I wanted to hang it from the ceiling! I made a trip to Hobby Lobby for a few things and had a plan!
Here is where I introduce my husband, the handy man! He was such a trooper and a HUGE help for sure. I told him what I wanted, and he helped my vision come to life. We hung 4 hooks from the ceiling, leveled the ladder and tied it with twine. Let me just tell you that Shawn knows how to tie every knot known to man. I am good for a granny knot and a double knot, but that is the extent of my knot resume. All those years of tying fishing knots has paid off for him!
I had bought 3 1/2 yards of chiffon from Hobby Lobby for $10.48 (I used the 40% coupon), a set of three white paper lanterns for $4.99, a strand of Christmas lights for $2.99 and a set of 6 flickering lights for $5.99. The flickering lights were not a must, but if the strand of lights are off and I just want a little mood lighting ;-) in the room, then I can turn on the flickering tea lights (that are battery operated) that I attached inside the paper lanterns with twine.
After looking at it, I thought it needed just a little something else. I had a couple of mason jars on-hand and added some holiday berries inside them (from Hobby Lobby for $.74 each and I might have used 5 strands). The mason jars were also hung by twine.
I really really love how it all turned out. It creates such a focal point in the room and draws your eye up. If my math is correct, I paid $42.65 (without tax) for this decor...not too bad. And you should have seen the kids the next morning when they got up, they absolutely loved it! And Finn couldn't stop saying "Light, Light!" Super cute! A BIG thanks to my hubby for staying up (11 pm - 2 am...wowsers!) and starting/finishing this with me! One item off the list!! :-) 

No comments: