Friday, January 17, 2014

On the hunt

Tuesday morning while Finn was napping, I set up a little hunt for the old two. We had just finished a little study about two young colonist boys who were kidnapped by Indians and taken to their camp to be slaves. The boys were there for several months, learning trades from the Indians and doing all their chores. Over time, they begin to learn the Indian's language, but kept it to themselves. One day they overheard the Indians planning how they were going to take the boys up the river to Canada and sell them as slaves, along with their animal hides. The boys escaped the camp one night and were on the run for several days. They finally reached an English settlement and they helped the boys return home.

The families were beyond blessed to have them back home. They told the boys that as soon as they came up missing, they took the dogs and traced their scent through the woods. The dogs were able to follow the scent up to the river, but after that they lost it in the water. So, while the kids were working in the homeschool room, I set-up a little hunt for them. {The idea came from the curriculum...love it!} I got 10 cotton balls and put peppermint essential oil {essential oils: new found love by the way!} on them and then got out 6 more and put sweet orange essential oil on them. I made a path of peppermint EO cotton balls from my room into the bathroom, then I put sweet orange EO cotton balls around the path. I called the kids over and let them sample both scents and told them they needed to follow the peppermint smell. It was cute and the kids were laughing the entire time. The trail of cotton balls led to the bath tub, where he found the last one in it. He loved how similar it was to the story we had just finished. Then we finished up reading in our God's Wonderful Works science book about dogs and their great sense of smell. I'm glad it worked out!


Then later that afternoon we were outside and I found the boys playing in the "fort". I just had to capture them together. 
And here they are in action! Once Finn saw me, he could not stop "cheesing"!! Haha! Definitely a new thing of his lately. Love my kiddos.

No comments: