Friday, July 31, 2015

Hank the Cowdog

I asked our neighbor to check on Hank while we were in LA over the 4th of July. We were only gone for a few days and figured he'd be just fine. Well, I totally forgot about the fireworks with us living outside the city limits. He is not a fan of them, to say the least.

Anyhow, my sweet neighbor sent me a video of her searching our backyard on Saturday and he was no where to be found. So, we had an idea when we got home on Sunday that he would still be missing.

We were outside sweeping up debris from the fireworks and a couple walked by. Jase said "ask them ask them." I wasn't sure what he was referring to at first, and by the time I did, they were already down the road. A few minutes later another couple came strolling by and Jase wanted me to ask them if they had seen Hank. To my surprise, they knew what dog I was talking about and told us that a gentleman around the corner had asked them if they knew who the owner was. We ended up finding his house on the first try. He said Hank ended up at his house on Friday night, and was picked up by the pound on Saturday afternoon.

The next morning we all had Vacation Bible School {VBS}, so the plan was to head over to the pound after it was over at noon. We get there and search their database and there is Hank...or Snagle as they called him.
He was looking pretty rough when we picked him up. And he is Rat Terrier, not a Chihuahua. Since he is missing most of his nose and front teeth, he favors a Chihuahua. Some of you may know, but when he was 1, he was attacked by something in our backyard. I have no idea what it was, but I do know that our back porch looked like a crime scene when I got home from work and he was in really bad shape. We had to rush him to the animal hospital for surgery. He was our first kiddo, so it was pretty traumatic. Hank is a fighter and pulled through. Here he is 12 years old and still causing havoc! Ha!
So this was Monday afternoon. Well, on Wednesday I let him out in the back again while we went to VBS. Bad mistake. Came home and he is missing, again. Geez. It was raining outside, but I packed up the kids and drove around and looked for him for a solid hour. A few hours later we got back in the car to search for him again. No sign of him.

Thursday morning I got a call from the pound asking if I had found my dog {I had left a message with them on Wednesday asking if he was there}. They saw on a Facebook post that someone had found him and they put me in contact with him. The guy put me in touch with a girl that kept him overnight. After VBS was over we went by and picked him up. Oh and did I mention that Shawn was out of town Monday - Wednesday? Thursday evening we blocked any holes we saw along the fence line.

I'm glad to report that he is currently sound asleep in the living room! Oh Hankie, you're a mess!

No comments: