Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Hope is in You, Lord

This morning at 9:45 Shawn was getting ready to leave to go dove hunting for the weekend.  We gathered together for prayer time and prayed for safe traveling mercies for Daddy, Nana's health and Shannon's interview to go well. We gave hugs and kisses and he was out the door.

I tended to the kids and a few minutes later I looked down at my phone and I had 3 or 4 missed calls and a text...that is never a good feeling.  I called my sister back and she was crying and told me that Nana was taken to the emergency room this morning because she was having trouble breathing.  I immediately called my mom and she and my dad were on their way up to the hospital.  My mom told me that my Nana was unconscious when my Aunt Kathleen was with her a few minutes before.  This was at 10 am.  I got the kids dressed, packed a bag for the day, got around and we hit the road.

We left the house about 11:15 and my sister road with us.  We got to the hospital around 12:40 and I saw my Uncle Billy and asked him "is she still the same, how is she?"  He responded with "she passed away."  My mom didn't want to tell us since we would be driving, but she passed away around 10:45 am.  Tears began to flow.  I just didn't expect that at all.  I thought she'd pull through like she always does, but her poor body was done and she is now resting in peace with Jesus and Poppa. 

After a couple of hours we headed back to my Nana's house where we cooked fajitas and visited.  Whenever the Smith family gathers together you better bet there will always be something cookin' and it will be delicious and plenty of it!!  I hate that this occasion is what pulled us back together to see one another, but it was nice to talk and just be there for one another during this time.  Everyone is hurting and had their own special relationship with Nana.  While she was a feisty one, she was a loving one.  She always had time for her children, her grandchildren and even her great-grandchildren.

So many memories of you and I will cherish them until I see you again in heaven.  Thank you for all the laughs and love Phil...I love you and miss you dearly.


A little 4 Wheeler action while getting the food ready
My little cousin, Corey, brought his guitar and broke it out and sang a few songs.  While playing he made up a country song about my Nana on the spot...it was perfect.  We were all outside sitting around and the words spoke truth about my Nana.  Wish I had the words to share, but they were perfect.

Corey singing a song to honor Nana and Allyson swinging away to the sweet words

While we were outside Jase looked at me and said "we're having a little celebrate" and I said "yes, yes we are babe."  So sweet.  While only 4 years old Jase knew exactly what was going on.  We were celebrating Nana's life.  

The song "My Hope is in You" by Aaron Shust has been on heavy on my mind lately.  The words speak to me and especially during this time of need.  I just keep replaying it and replaying it.  It comes from Psalm 62:5 "My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him."  Such truth...my hope is in Him.  There is nothing else to cling to at this time or anytime for that matter. 

My hope is in you, Lord
All the day long
I won't be shaken by drought or storm

A peace that passes understanding is my song
And I sing
My hope is in you, Lord

I will wait on you
You are my refuge
I will wait on you
You are my refuge

http://youtu.be/8cP1hzoJ41o

4 comments:

Casey said...

i cried all the way home from work yesterday when amy called and told me the news. i have been praying for yalls family so much. i know how special she was to yall. i have so many memories in that old house in pasadena. and all those hours we spent at the y-not! she was so tired and from what amy said she was ready. she will be missed so much, jess!! hook em horns :)

Jessica said...

Thank you Casey. Your prayers are definitely felt. And I know, it is so hard. Just trying to focus on that she is not in pain anymore and just trying to be strong for the rest of the family. And yes, so many good memories...those cannot be taken away from us. And hook 'em is right!! :)

The Mery Family said...

We're so sorry for your loss. An angel to watch over your sweet family.

Jessica said...

Thank you Krista. A new angel for sure! :)