Wednesday, September 14, 2011

NEVER AGAIN

Ok, so I am 31 and I can say that I have never bought a whole chicken and took all the pieces (i.e. breasts, wings, thighs) off the chicken and boiled them separately...until today.

This past weekend I was at the store and the price of a whole chicken is relatively cheap when compared to just buying skinless boneless chicken breasts (which is what I always do).  So, I picked up two since I would be making casseroles this week with chicken in them.  On Saturday Shawn prepared the chicken, boiled it and deboned it for me...he is awesome.  That is some of our funnest times together...in the kitchen.  We both love to be in there preparing and cooking food together.

A day or two ago I asked him about the chicken and cutting/breaking it up to cook and he explained it.  Apparently all I recalled was "it's easy" when I was trying to do it this morning.  Ugh!  Ready for a mental picture...it was me at the sink with this whole chicken on a cutting board (that was way too small) with a knife.  That huge thing was sliding around everywhere!!  I might as well have gotten a butter knife because the one I was using wouldn't even cut the skin!!  I felt like a dork as I remembered Shawn's words "it's easy!" 

At this point I have put the knife down and started twisting the chicken at the joints.  This is not a joke...this was my methodology now...choking the chicken!  I was getting so flustered, yet determined to get this chicken in the pot!  You would have thought it was alive the way it was moving all around.

Mission finally accomplished, but never again will I do this.  LOL!  I will either be cooking the whole chicken in its entirety, Shawn cutting it up for me, or going back to chicken breasts.

On a happier note, (I think) I found the wishbone and set it out to dry!  I loved doing this as a kid and can't wait to show Allyson and Jase!

2 comments:

The Mery Family said...

I can just picture you in the kitchen exactly as you've described! So funny and bravo for being brave and trying to do it.

Jessica said...

Haha! Thanks! Yeah, Shawn said that we will have to have a lesson. I told him no, that I think I'm done with cutting up the whole chicken! LOL!