Monday, November 19, 2012

It's Official

We're moving to Africa that is!! Shawn accepted a new position with his company in Luanda, Angola.  Crazy, I know!!  When this opportunity presented itself back in August it actually became a topic of conversation for us rather than me shutting it down. The Lord has allowed me to be open to this and given me a peace about it.  Now I'm not saying that I am not sad to leave family and friends and not overwhelmed at the things that have to be done, because I am, but if I am being honest I am excited about this adventure with my family.

I'm going to Q&A myself (yes, myself) on some of the details.

When will the big move take place?
Shawn will go back to Angola for a short visit in January and then the plan is the move the whole family in February.  No dates are set in stone, but we are thinking some time in February.

Why in the world would you want to do this?
We honestly feel this is right for our family at this point in our life.  This will be a great job opportunity for Shawn's career and a lifetime experience to live in a different culture and expose the kids to an alternative way of living.  Also, Living Water International is slated to be doing a lot of work in Africa and how awesome would it be to team up with them!! The need there is great, and we would love to be the hands and feet of Jesus, even if it is to just one person.

Where will you live in Angola and is it safe?
We will live in a gated compound with other families from Shawn's company.  While that doesn't sound safe, Shawn assures me that he never felt unsafe on his trip he just took.  And he tried to imagine Jase or Ally standing right next to him in certain situations.  The house is like a little townhouse or condo: 3 bedroom with a study and 2 1/2 bath.

What will you have to bring with you?
The house is furnished except the kitchen.  So, we will bring all of our kitchen items, clothes, bathroom toiletries, toys, and anything else we don't want in storage.

What will you do with your house here?
We are going to sell it.  We will put everything we are not taking with us in storage.  We will probably clear the house right before we make the big move and put it on the market when we are leaving.  We do not want to stress out and try to show the house while packing it up.

How long will y'all be gone?
Typical assignments last 2-4 years. While we did not sign to a certain length of time, ours will probably be around 24-36 months.

Will y'all be able to come back to the states and visit in the meantime?
YES!!  We already plan on coming back for a short stay in June 2013 and the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays in 2013 as well.  So, we will still get to see family and friends!

And your 2 dogs?
We cannot take them with us. We've had both Hank (10 lb rat terrier) and Jet (80 lb black lab) since they were pups since October 2003 and March 2005, respectively.  We will miss them.  And especially Hankie . . . he was my first baby!  Shawn bought him for me just days after he proposed, so Hank has been with us from the start of our family.  And with a near death experience with Hankie when he was only 1 year old, I'm attached to him.  We do not have concrete plans for them yet, but need to get that worked out and soon.

Those are all the big questions I can think of.  I think the hardest part of all of this was telling the kids and our loved ones.  I was very emotional when telling them.  What parent, sister, best friend wants to hear that their loved one is moving half way across the world?!?  I'm so glad that I did not go with my original plan of telling all of our family at Ally's family birthday party.  My thinking was that everyone would be there and we would only have to go through this once.  Looking back that would have been an epic fail and a huge cry fest!  I probably would have locked myself in my room!!  Ha! While I know it will be hard not being able to drive to their house and see them anytime I want, I am thankful for technology.  There is a 6-7 hour time difference (depending upon the time change), but we will be able to FaceTime and message whenever we'd like.  And it will make the time we do spend together very valuable and priceless.

So, stay tuned in as we begin the next chapter in our lives!

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto understanding. 
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and He shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6


2 comments:

Carolyn Wallace said...

Wow! That is amazing. What a wonderful opportunity. I wish you and your family all the best and will be following along online!

Unknown said...

I can't lie, I am a little sad. :( But what an amazing opportunity for all of you. Love you guys!