Friday, November 30, 2012

This Is Happening

Today (11/29) we had a guy from a moving company come to our home and walk through our entire house, room by room.  He took note of what was going in storage and what we would be taking with us to Africa.  That way when the professional movers come to pack our house, they will have a list of all of our items and where they need to go.

I handled that just fine, but it was later when we were sitting upstairs in the homeschool room where I got completely overwhelmed just looking at all the stuff in that room. {And there are 8 other rooms in my house!} I will admit, I have an attachment to stuff, I know I do. I sat on the floor and untangled some twine string that the kids got out of mine for like 20 minutes instead of throwing it away.  Yikes . . . attachment to some twine I've probably only used once, BUT if I ever need some I'll have it. And I think that is how I rationalize keeping everything "oh I might need that one day." And some of it has sat in a box since we moved into this house 5 years ago.  I told Shawn that maybe this was one of the reasons we are moving, so I have to let go of some of this stuff.  He agreed!  Ha!  I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder, but definitely a pack rat and always have been.  No shame!

Shawn suggested having a garage sale next weekend, like in 7 days!! I told him there was no way I could thoroughly go through every room in 1 week without help. And even with help it would be a challenge. So, let the fun begin, right? Hey, but admitting you have a problem is the first step! ;-)

2 comments:

My Family said...

I totally know how you feel. I know this will be a challenge for you. I will be praying for you. It is not just stuff, it is memories. But...you will feel so much better once it is gone and you probably will never even miss it!

Jessica said...

Thanks Heather! Yes, they are memories! But you are right, it will feel so much better to part with some of this stuff!