Wednesday, September 11, 2013

First Injury

Within the final seconds of baseball practice last Tuesday (9/3/13) Jase was stepping off of 3rd base and some how twisted {or popped as he will tell you} his ankle. He could not walk on it right away, but eventually could wobble to the car. {Shawn was not at that practice to carry him.} He favored it the next day or two and we iced it down. We decided he better take it easy, so he sat out on practice Thursday evening for both baseball and gymnastics. He had a game on Saturday and suited up and played it in. Since I was at the wedding, Shawn told me that he was favoring it some and you could tell that he was having trouble running on it.

If you asked him if it hurt, he would tell you no and was fine during the day. Monday came around and we scheduled him a make-up class for gymnastics and he seemed ok. Shawn could tell that he was struggling a little, but you couldn't tell based on the smile on his face. Then on Tuesday this week he had baseball practice again. Poor thing, I guess it got to a point where it really hurt him because the last 10 minutes or so of practice he was sitting on the bench.

Last night Shawn and I decided we needed to do something. This is really his first injury and he hasn't been able to just "shake it off." I called the doctor's office and spoke to the nurse and scheduled him a doctor appointment. I explained the appointment to Jase and told him that if needed to we might have to go get x-rays afterwards, depending upon what the doctor says. He started asking some questions and we went over what x-rays were and that it would not hurt at all. From then on he kept saying "I just know I'm going to get x-rays, I know I'll have to." 

Our doctor checked him out and said that if it was a sprain it would be hurting all around his ankle, but his only hurts on the ankle bone. She said she thinks that it is ok, but would hate to misdiagnose it if it were broken. She told him that he needed to stay off of it until it is completely healed, regardless if it is broken or not. It is visibly swollen right now. She said if it's a sprain {which is actually a torn ligament and is kind of a big deal, when most people down talk sprains} that it may take up to 1-2 weeks to heal and she's actually seen it take up to a month. Her prescription was: Rest, Ice and Elevation. Ok, we can do that.

We headed down to Clear Lake for x-rays. He wasn't too nervous and I kept reassuring him everything would be ok, even if it was broken, we would get it taken care of. We prayed for his foot and the situation in the car.

Can I just say that the Texas Children's Health Center was so nice! I mean they have everything to entertain the kids: play kitchen, books, toys. First class for sure. We broke out our snacks and made ourselves at home.


They called us back in no time, which was a surprise. The nurse said that we could stay in the waiting room or sit outside the exam room, whichever Jase wanted. He said he wanted me in there. Me and the two younger kiddos waited outside the room and the technician left the door open while she set everything up. He was so brave. Super proud of him!! When they finished up the x-rays she said they would e-mail my doctor the results and I should know that evening or in the morning.


We took a pit stop before leaving the facility. I so need one of these installed in my house!! He just looks too big in this picture! Oh and the spoon Finn has is from our house. Another fetish of his. He loves carrying spoons around.


Before leaving the parking lot, I looked up a frozen yogurt place and found Orange Leaf. It was super tasty and their yogurt was so creamy! I had non-fat blueberry and it was so yummy!! Jase had cookies and cream and it was better than Tutti Frutti's. Allyson had to have pink: strawberry! And I got wedding cake for Finn. We enjoyed our little treat.


As I'm driving home my phone rings and it's the doctor's office. Results are in and his ankle is normal, no fracture or anything. Great news!! Thank you, Jesus! Now, we just need to keep him off his foot. Do you know how hard that is for a boy that is constantly moving, jumping, running?!? I think after today he better understands the severity and realizes if he wants to participate in baseball and gymnastics then he better lay low for while.

No comments: