Saturday, September 21, 2013

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

The other evening I hosted Bunco at my house and made Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and a lot of people were fans, so I thought I would share! 2 3 things I like about it: 1. It is super tasty, 2. Low calorie count, and 3. So easy.

You can find the original recipe here; however, I made some adjustments to "healthify" it a bit.

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

(2) 12.5 Canned Chicken Breasts (Tyson), drained
(1) Cup Salsa (HEB)
(1/2) Package Low Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix (McCormick)
(1) Can Healthy Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup (HEB)
(1/2) Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (Chobani)
Corn Tortillas or Tortilla Chips (My favorites tortillas are the Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas for 40 calories each and the La Ranchera White Corn Tortillas from the HEB Bakery for 35 calories each)

In a crock pot {don't forget your liner!} combine the canned chicken {I shred it by hand when putting it in the crock pot}, salsa, taco seasoning mix, and soup. Mix all together until combined. Cook on high for 30-40 minutes. Then mix in the greek yogurt right before serving. Serve with corn tortillas or chips.

This easily serves 6. I doubled this recipe for my Bunco group of 12 ladies and had quite a bit leftover. With the ingredients and brands I listed above, it was 170 calories for 1/12 of the dish. This calorie count does not include the tortillas or chips. Picture below does not do it justice, but here is what it looks like in the crock pot. And there is NO cheese in the dish and is still tastes delish!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was super yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I never would have guessed yogurt. Lol.