Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Time for a Check-up

Were you just singing Doc McStuffins' theme song? I was! :-) I took the kiddos today to the doctor for Allyson's 4 year old check-up and Finn's 1 year old check-up. This was my first time to take Finn to the doctor since he started walking. Two words: Hands Full!! We arrived right on time at 9:30 am and I received a packet of paperwork to fill out for each of them. Geez. I wondered if they even look at these documents. They should e-mail me a link to these questionnaires prior to my appointment and I could fill them out ahead of time. It would cut down on data entry on their end and I get to fill them out at my leisure and not while trying to keep an eye on 3 kiddos. Win-win! I've actually done that before visiting a doctor; maybe it was a chiropractor. Very efficient.

Allyson was up first. She weighs 32 lb (26th percentile) and is 3' 4.5" tall (68%). She is not the biggest eater that's for sure, but she can drink her weight in milk if you let her! I think she will be in a car seat until she is 6 years old...reaching 40 lbs for her will be a task! I spoke to the nurse practitioner (NP) a little about nervousness and she definitely thinks it is anxiety. She recommended taking her to a psychiatrist at Texas Children's Hospital in the medical center. Yikes. I think this situation is very dear to the NP's heart because her 8 year old daughter struggles with this. She gave me a few pointers on how to handle situations with her and it seems like we are already doing most of those things. Going to continue to work with her on things before elevating to the med center.

Next up, Finn. He weighed 21 lb 12 oz (47%) and was 30" tall (34%). Two words: Squatty Body! Hahaha!! Kidding! Love my little Finny! I didn't really have too many concerns or questions about him.

Lastly, the shots. After the NP left the room I told Ally she was getting some shots today. :-(  I explained that these shots could prevent her from getting really sick and while they may hurt just a little, they are to help her. We all took a potty break and then when we came back in the room she told me she was going to be brave. While she did cry and nearly pulled the first needle out, she took them better than I thought. I praised her for being a big girl! And little Finn didn't have a clue what was coming his way. :-( I passed on checking his iron...I wanted to get the shots over and done with.

Made it back to my car at 11:15 am {1 hour and 45 mins later}. Whew, glad that is finished and feeling blessed with healthy babies. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now I can't get that song out of my head! LOL Glad the appointments went well.