Sunday, October 20, 2013

Baby Shower Fun

We have been making some changes in our house lately with the products that we are using. I am trying to be health conscious, whether that is with cleaning products, toiletries, food, etc. Now, I am no where near all-natural by any means, but little by little I am trying to educate myself on what is best for my family. All that to say that I tried some new recipes this weekend!

First up was baby lotion bars. These were pretty straightforward to make and I even got hubby involved on this one! :-) He grated the beeswax for me! I needed a mold for the bars, but all I had on-hand were Christmas tree and Ice Age molds...not really ideal for a baby shower gift! Ha! Then Shawn had a great idea: use my mini muffin pan!! Perfect! 

Ingredients:
1 Cup Organic Coconut Oil
1 Cup Beeswax
1 tsp Vitamin E Oil

You simply melt the beeswax in a pot on the stove, then add in the coconut oil until all ingredients are in liquid form. Then, add in the vitamin E oil and stir together. Next, pour into your molds. I used a cup that I could easily bend because I do not have a funnel and it worked great. After they cool down, pop them out of the molds and that's it. I put mine in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to quick freeze them and this also helped pop them out of the tins.


Next up was some homemade diaper rash cream. This recipe called for 3/4 C of coconut oil and 3/4 C of corn starch; however, I could NOT get mine to thicken up enough on that small amount of corn starch. 

Now, this recipe only has 2 ingredients, but don't be fooled... For some reason the recipe has you beat the coconut oil 8 minutes...yes 8 minutes!! And we are still operating on a hand mixer in this house, so from 11:50-11:58 on Friday night, that's what I was doing!! Craziness! Besides smoothing and thinning out the coconut oil, I'm pretty sure I could have stopped at 4 minutes and it would have been fine, but since this was the first time I was making it, I was trying to follow the recipe as written.

After I wanted to chop my hands off, it was time to add in the corn starch. I added the 3/4 C and it was not pasty whatsoever. I did not measure how much I had to add, but I am thinking I must have tripled the amount of corn starch!! Maybe my hand mixer was too powerful and the coconut oil was too thin from all the beating! :-)) Just saying! It never ended up as thick as I had originally envisioned, but hey you have to draw the line some where and call it quits!! But I was happy with the end result.


I added some tags and twine and I thought they turned out pretty cute! And I even used a baby lotion bar on Finn and Ally this evening after their bath, and I liked it. Only thing is that since it is made with coconut oil, it does have an oily texture, so it's best to leave them in a plastic bag of some sort when you're not using them.


The first shower I went to had a Dr. Seuss theme, which was super cute!! I loved all the bold colors they used, so fun! And using books as decor...right up my alley! Below we are posing as The Lorax and Thing 1 and Thing 2!


The second shower had a rockin' roll monkey theme. Very cute as well! Look at that diaper cake...you know that took some time to put together!!

Best wishes to both mommies to be and God's blessing on a safe delivery and healthy baby boys. What an exciting and eventful time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We were talking about your homemade baby stuff after the shower. It was a big hit. Super cute idea.