Friday, July 15, 2011

It's a JUNGLE out there!!

This week the kids learned about the Jungle and our vocabulary word was Vine.  We looked up interesting facts about jungle animals and read jungle books we checked out from our local library.  Jase also has a set of books he had in his room that we really haven't read, but he loves them...The Jungle Book and The Jungle Book 2!! We will be renting that movie soon to watch, as Jase LOVED the books.  I played "Bare Necessities" with Baloo and Mowgli from The Jungle Book and Jase got a tickle out of it every time.

We finished up the letter "A" and the number "1" this week, along with the nursery rhyme we introduced last Friday: Hey Diddle Diddle.  This week we took on the color green, letter "B", number "2" and lastly we added our nursery rhyme "I Had a Little Nut Tree" (which is new to me too! lol).

Today we did a craft where they picked out their favorite jungle animal.  To no surprise Jase picked a Tiger and Allyson picked out a Monkey.  I printed them out and taped them onto a piece of construction paper.  Next I gave them green strips of paper I had cut and they glued it over the animal.  I explained to them that the animals in the jungle hide in the grass, and then threw in "well, monkeys are mainly in the trees, but they might hide behind vines." LOL! We only glued the bottom of the grass, so you can bend the grass down and you can still see the animals.  They turned out cute. Oh and today I remembered the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" so I YouTube'd it (a great, free resource) and played it over and over...it will not hurt my feelings if I do not hear that song for a while! haha!


Next week is kittens. I'm more of a dog person, but hope to make it purrrfect for the kiddos!! :)

No comments: