Thursday, August 18, 2011

Annual Check-ups and Vaccinations (Yikes!!)

We had a big morning planned...both Jase and Allyson had their annual doctor check-ups.  That meant that Jase needed his 4 year old boosters and Allyson needed some as well.  With the kids starting school soon...it was time.  Shawn, being the super dad he is, stayed home from work and went with me!  I knew that these shots would be traumatic for Jase, so having Daddy there would be great!!

Since our appointment was not until 9:20, I got up a little early and actually went grocery shopping (ALONE) at 7:30! It was fantastic...barely another shopper in the store.  I was in and out in less than 40 minutes! I brought the kids home Mrs. Baird's powdered sugar donuts for breakfast and they loved them!  It's the little things!


We got dressed and headed to the doctor's office.  I think we walked into the office right on time, which doesn't happen very often for me...I'm one of those casually late type of people.  Not on purpose, I promise; it's just how it always works out. 

They hopped on the scale and Jase was 39 lbs (I'm not sure if he'll ever break 40) and Allyson was 24 lbs! Jase is currently 42 3/4 inches and we're pretty sure Allyson is 33 3/4" (I forgot to get a growth print out on them).  Next, Jase had his blood pressure checked and it was fine (112/66).  This was his first time to have it checked and he did great and sat still, for the most part.  Then Jase had his hearing and eye sight checked...great job! I wonder about his hearing sometimes because I have to say things a few times before he actually does it! ;)


Then our doctor came in and I just love her...Dr. Palamountain!! She is always so warm, kind and very knowledgeable.  And most importantly she loves my kids!!  I never feel rushed by her and she is very thorough.  She spoke with Jase first and they looked at a book for letter and color recognition.  He spelt the word duck on a book and then told her the sound that "ck" makes! :) She was impressed! She then told us according to mine and Shawn's heights, he will be about 5'10".  Then looking at the growth chart and the path he is on, he will be about 6'2"...we are holding her to that! Kidding! 5'10", 6'2"...whatever it is, it will be perfect, just as God has designed.

"My turn" as Ally kept saying.  Allyson did great and was very still and let her examine her with no problem.  Both kids got a clean bill of health...Praise God!

We spoke to the doctor about vaccinations and the risks related to autism, do they contain mercury, and does she give her daughter them (who is a little older than Jase).  I've read quite a bit about vaccinations and honestly it is so hard to know what is the truth.  I don't want to do something just because everyone is doing it and at the end of the day I want what's best for my children.  Dr. Palamountain was very at ease talking about the vaccinations.  She said that the link to autism article was revoked a few years back and she wishes it was that easy to prevent autism.  I asked about mercury and she said that there was not mercury in these shots and that the flu nasal mist did not contain mercury either.  Now, the flu vaccination does contain a little mercury (if I remember correctly), but she did say that you are more exposed to mercury in a can of tuna...interesting.  And yes, she vaccinates her daughter.  She said that the thought of her daughter getting these diseases scares her and people still get them.  She said people do get not polio in the US anymore, but now that people are not being vaccinated for it, you never know what we could start seeing.  After talking with her, Shawn and I were definitely at ease with the vaccinations.

Jase ended up getting 4 shots plus the flu nasal mist and Allyson got 3.  So thankful that Daddy was there to help with Jase.  And so glad that Jase does not have anymore vaccinations until he is 11 and Allyson is caught up until she is 4.

On our way home, we stopped by McDonald's and picked the kiddos up some lunch.  Nothing better to cheer them up than some nuggets and apple dippers!  Oh and a new Smurf to add to their collection.

No comments: