Monday, August 22, 2011

Prayer time

We have a nightly routine that works for us and it is pretty consistent: read a book (or two or four) in Jase's room and then prayer time. We always pray on Jase's bed, but tonight I suggested that we change it up and brought a rug in from the hall and put it at the foot of Jase's bed. We all gathered on our knees on the rug, even little Allyson, and began to pray. I know that God hears our prayers, whether we are in our bed or driving down the road, but I just want to be as sincere as I possibly can and ensure that we are teaching our children to respect God. Ephesians 3:14-19.

Allyson and I started off praying and then Jase. Jase does an awesome job at always remembering to pray for those in need. Over the past few months there have been a few prayer requests that receive a nightly mention from Jase: Baby Lincoln (precious 1 year old that has been in and out of the hospital), Nana (she has fell a few times and has had to be hospitalized more than once) and Uncle Billy (bone cancer in his cheek and just finished radiation). Jase was praying and after he asked God to heal these people he kind of stopped, almost like he didn't know else to say. I then intervened and asked him what he was thankful for and that we can also thank God for things as well. My eyes were still closed at this point. Then he said "Mom, we do not interrupt people while they are praying." At this point in time, I opened my eyes to look at him and his eyes were squenched together like he was really getting onto me. I nearly died!!! He was totally right and I'm sure I have used that line on him a time or two. I told him I was sorry and he proceeded to pray again.

A few moments later I said something else. I wasn't correcting him or suggesting he thank God for anything, but I think he had prayed for the same person like 3-4 times and I was just helping him out by giving him someone else to pray for. Again he told me "Mom, we don't do that. We don't interrupt people while they are praying!" And at this time he began shaking his hand (palm up) at me.

Moral of the story: teach and talk about prayer time beforehand and not during!!

No comments: