Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Carving

After the birthday party on Saturday we came back to the house and started working on our pumpkins! I found a pumpkin observation journal here and Jase used it to record guesses about certain attributes (i.e. height, width) and then we would measure and record the actual measurements.  At first when I gave it to him he told me he had his own pumpkin journal (sure!), but he quickly warmed up to what I gave him and enjoyed the questions.


 
Our next thing to figure out was if the pumpkin will sink or float!!  After our experiment we discovered that the pumpkin is a floater!!

 
 
The kids did not know what to think about the inside of the pumpkin.  Actually they both wanted to wash their hands after a few seconds of touching "the brains"!  We carved a pumpkin last year and I know they helped some, but probably not as involved as this year.
 
 


After we finished cleaning our pumpkins, we all got cleaned up and headed to a friends house where they were having a Pumpkin Carving Contest.  Game face was on!!

Last year I picked up Star Wars pumpkin carving kit from Hobby Lobby at 75% and amazingly enough I found it a year later!! Out of all the templates, Jase picked out, wait for, wait for it . . . YODA!  Daddy did a great job on it!


And for the record we got 3rd in the contest.  The evil face below got 1st and the haunted house was 2nd. 


What a busy, but fun day we had!! After 4 wardrobe changes for both older kids, no wonder I am still doing laundry!!

No comments: