Friday, October 12, 2012

The adventure continues

On Monday Shawn had to work the morning/early afternoon shift, so me and the kiddos stayed in the hotel room while Shawn was at work. Since we are homeschooling, I just brought school along with us and we did school everyday while on vacation; it really worked out great.

It was about 12:30, we had just finished a snack and we expected Shawn back at the hotel in about an hour and a half and would eat lunch with him then.  The kids were playing when all of a sudden an announcement went off on the loud speaker in the room.  First in Spanish and I sat there hoping they would replay in English.  Sure enough they did and it said "A fire has been reported in the building.  Please find the nearest stairwell and exit the building." I sat there for just a second in disbelief to what I just heard.  Jase, understanding what was going on, came to me with tears sitting in his eyes.  I calmed him down and told him we would be ok.  I got their shoes on, grabbed my wallet, room key, phone, nursing cover and diaper bag and headed to the stairs.  Did I mention that we are on 21st FLOOR?!?!?  I held Finn in my arms, held Allyson's hand and Jase walked right in front of us as we walked down.  We said a prayer as we walked down, praying that no one would get hurt.  The kids really did a great job walking down, no one complained at all.

We finally got to the bottom floor and walked outside.  We made it!!  As soon as we got outside I saw another lady standing there, holding her laptop and then 4 hotel employees we were walking towards the building.  I asked them if the fire was out and if it was safe to go back inside?  A lady said, "no, that was for employees only, didn't you hear that part of the announcement?" I responded with "Ummm, no I didn't hear that part. And we are on the 21st floor." She said "oh and you have 3 kids, I'm sorry."

The other lady holding her laptop joined us as we walked back inside and got on the elevator.  The employee asked what floor and we both said 21.  She mentioned that she did not hear that part of the announcement either and I told them again that was not mentioned on our floor {believe me, I listened to it a couple of times to make sure}.  The employees realized we were telling the truth and said they were sorry and would let someone know about the announcement.  Geez!!

We got back to the room, safe and sound and I was thankful for that and also that there really wasn't a fire.  I reassured the kids that all was ok {Ally started turning on her *scared* voice}.  Needless to say we got our exercise in that day!

No comments: