Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Night Time

Every night we have a routine with the kids.  Their bedrooms are upstairs, so we'll all head up together and they'll brush their teeth (if they did not brush them in my room downstairs).  Jase will then go in his room and look at a book or play Legos for just one more minute (as if he didn't play enough during the day).  We start off in Ally's room.  We have always done devotion together in Jase's room, but it got to be more of a distraction than a benefit, so while splitting them up may take a while longer, it gives them each some one-on-one time and the time seems more productive while in their room.
 
So in Ally's room, she has her own little routine and wants to read like 3 books every night.  She will be stuck on a certain book for a few weeks and we will read it every night.  Lately it has been a Disney Princess book that contains all of the princesses with all their stories.  Now, I don't get to read it, I have to sit there while she reads the stories to me.  She starts off with Snow White, then onto Cinderella, then Sleeping Beauty, then Ariel.  Let me stop at Ariel and tell you a funny from the other night.  She was looking at the pictures and telling me about The Little Mermaid and how she likes to swim and explore.  "And Prince Eric, he likes Ariel. And Flounder and Sebastian are Ariel's friends. And these are Ariel's sisters and they sing a song 'All the single ladies, all the single ladies, if you like it should put have a ring on it.'" I about died {and yes she doesn't say the right words: if you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it.}.  I asked her if they really sing that song?  She said "yes they do." And her face was so serious! Disclaimer: Ally has heard that song from two places: Alvin and the Chipmunks and Disney Live at Reliant.  Never in a million years would have I expected her to say that!! I just love her!
 
After she finishes her books, then I'll read a devotion that is geared towards preschoolers.  It has a short bible story, a song, bible verse and then a prayer.  The book is great and was actually a hand-me-down from a friend.  We have read through the book probably 5 or so times and we just keep looping back through it.  Repetition is good so they can memorize God's word. Then we'll have prayer time: her first, then me.  All of this is going on while I am holding Finn.  After 20 minutes in there, he is ready to move on! LOL!
 
Jase's routine is pretty similar to Ally's.  He'll either show me a new Lego scene he has created, or read a book to me or I'll read a book to him.  Then we'll do his devotion.  For Christmas we got two new books and we are currently reading both of them at night.  The first one is one we received from a friend and can I tell you how much we both love it!!  It is called The Jesus Storybook Bible and the way it is written, it is wonderful, definitely a page turner.  Tonight while I was in Ally's room, Jase must have came in her room like 3 times showing me pictures and stories from this book.  I'm so glad he loves it.  It is just like reading the bible, but in a way where it is easy for a child to understand and Jesus is woven throughout the whole book; they do a great job of helping you see the big picture of the bible and God's love for us.  Anyway, a great book and I recommend it! Lastly, I'll read the daily devotion from Jesus Calling.  This is a good, short read and the book is written as if God is talking to you.  I do like it and Jase does too, but some of the scenarios they refer to he cannot relate to; he's still young.  Then we have prayer time: him first, then me.
 
At the end of some most days I feel completely drained and just want to go in their room, say a little prayer, turn off the light and go downstairs.  And if I'm honest, that would cut my time upstairs from 40 minutes to 5 minutes.  But tonight while Ally was looking at an old photo album and pretending that it was a book and telling me a story to go along with the pictures and having me repeat words "say giraffe, Mommy...ok, good", I realized that I'll never get these times back and to soak it up.  And Jase running into Ally's room to show me his Jesus bible and excited about the real stories that took place long ago...I just love it!

No comments: