Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Phenomenal Brownies

Over the last week have been talking about God's truth and what exactly is truth in our lives. We read a story with two boys that were hiking in the forest and the topic of creation was brought up. One of the boys said that he believes what his science teacher told him about creation and that the world just appeared with a big boom; it just made itself. And then the other boy stood firm on God creating the earth and to just look around at His creation and how it speaks to us. A little while later they headed back to one of their houses and there was a plate of brownies sitting on the table. The boy who believed the science teacher's reasoning of creation asked the other boy if his mom made them and he responded with "no, they just made themselves." It was a good way to sum up the story and relate back to the truth of God's creation.

On one of the pages was a recipe for some Phenomenal Brownies. Jase immediately asked if we could make them. I scanned the ingredient list and the only thing I was missing was the unsweetened chocolate squares. I told him I would pick some up and we would make them soon. While at HEB on Sunday I found the squares and after school yesterday we decided to make them.
 
 
I preheated the oven, sprayed the pan, had the kids put the chocolate squares in a pan along with the butter, we measured out the ingredients.  Oh no...I see a problem!!  They want me to beat this for 10 minutes!?!?  We are old school at my house and do not have a kitchen aid mixer, so the 10 minutes of mixing would definitely be "hands on".  At this point in time Finn is asleep and Ally and Jase are both on chairs next to me and I have a cake in the oven. I SO should have read the instructions prior to starting!! Oh well, here we go.  I set the timer for 10 minutes because I certainly do not want to beat one second longer than I have too.  Jase lasts for 1 minute and 15 seconds and then both of them bail on me.  I moved the mixer by the stove because I either started melting the chocolate or decided I better melt the chocolate before the 10 minutes is up {I can't remember}.  Anyway, 1 hand stirring the chocolate and butter and the other beating the sugar, eggs and vanilla!!
 

The 10 minute timer finally went off and I hurried the rest of the steps along.  Finny Finn was now awake {10 minutes of hearing the mixer, I can only imagine}. While I had too much going on at once, they turned out great!! This was the first time I have ever made homemade brownies, but after tasting them I can tell you that they were worth the work!! They were *phenomenal*!

No comments: