Thursday, August 28, 2014

10 year anniversary

In the midst of all hustle and bustle lately, today is a special day. It is our 10 year anniversary! I'm not quite sure where 10 years have gone, but they have came and went. So many memories with Shawn flood my mind when I start thinking about us two and our history. We started dating at the end of my sophomore year in high school. {I'm sure most of you know this story, but for those who do not, I'll share!} I played softball in high school and he came to one of my games to cheer on a buddy's girlfriend, who happened to be my friend. He was acting like a crazy man in the stands, cheering and carrying on. It caught my attention for sure. I ended up asking my friend who was with her boyfriend and she told me: Shawn French. That next week, we were introduced at school, you know, by the lockers, and the rest is history. Aside from a short 6 month break my junior year, we have been together ever since.

We dated the rest of my high school time {attended senior prom together} and all throughout college as well. If you would have asked me, I would have been married in college...I was ready! Ha! He on the other hand was not. I had to learn to respect that {which was not easy} and we enjoyed our time together as a couple. We both finished college and as we moved back to our hometown, we both began to seek The Lord as individuals and as a couple. We both feel like this was key to furthering our relationship. I can't speak for Shawn, we've talked about it before, but our priorities changed once Jesus came into the picture. I think the fear that Shawn had of marriage subsided greatly once our spiritual life began to flourish.

I'm so thankful for the Lord's timing in our relationship. While I would have not chose to date 8 years before marriage, the Lord had different plans and His plans are far superior than mine. I honestly feel that if Shawn and I did not have the biblical foundation prior to marriage, that our relationship would not be as strong as it is today. Are we perfect, no, far from it. Do we get in arguments, of course we do. Do we have it all figured out, not even close. But over the course of time I do feel like we have been able to extend grace {forgiveness} to one another, which definitely is not something we can do without the Lord's help.

I wish I would have went through old pictures prior to the movers boxing everything up, but no use crying over spilled milk. I did manage to find a picture of a picture from our wedding day! I had just turned 24 and Shawn was 25.
And this was the sign-in canvas I made for our wedding day. I still love looking at the signatures from our special day!
Shawn is a great guy. And I'm not just saying that because it is our anniversary. We have grown up so much over the years together, and we have so many memories, which I love! He loved to take me fishing. He still remembers fishing spots we went to in college and how many we caught that day! His memory when it comes to the outdoors will blow you away! I like that about him! He can make me laugh. And if you know me, I enjoy laughing, so this is a big deal for me. He is tenderhearted. He sees someone in need, he doesn't hesitate to reach out to them. He loves his children. I love that he enjoys spending time with our bundles of joy. Tickle time, linebacker, princess dress-up, story time...he's your man!
He's devoted to me. I love that he loves me. As a woman, it always feels good to know that you are wanted or feel pretty, and I'm thankful that he reassures me of that. He loves the Lord. Apart from the Lord, we are terrible, sinful people, all of us. But with God's grace and salvation, He shines through us with His fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. {Galatians 5:22-23} We cannot act out of love or show kindness on our own, that is of the Lord. And I know that the love Shawn has for us, comes from the Lord. So thankful for the 10 years of marriage {18 together} and looking forward to the rest of our lives together.

No comments: