Wednesday, August 1, 2012

First Dr. Check-up

This morning I took little man to the doctor for his first check-up.  The doctor thought he looked great.  He has gained 2 oz since leaving the hospital and hopefully he will be back to his birth weight by Monday.  The doctor said that if I wanted to supplement a little at this point I could or wait and see where his weight is on Monday and go from there.  She recommended that I try taking an herb, fenegreek, to help boost my milk supply.  I told her I had just taking it!  Haha!

She said that Finn did not look jaundice at all, which was great to hear.  Jase had a touch of jaundice, probably because he was not getting enough liquids, and we were sent to Texas Children's Hospital at 9 days old (same as Finn is today).  It was pretty scary because I didn't know what was wrong with him and Shawn was out of town.  Me, my mom and Jase ended up waiting in the main waiting area for like over 6 hours and then didn't end up leaving until around 10 pm.  And then to top it off we weren't really given a solid diagnosis.  Basically we were told to keep giving him plenty of fluids.  Ummm . . . thank you!

Finn was completely wore out after his first outing today and took a long nap this afternoon.  And actually I was too!  It was my first time to leave the house since coming home from the hospital last Wednesday.  He's still up right now, but he better start getting sleepy REAL fast.  We do not have any plans tomorrow, so I am hoping we all sleep in, the older kids included.  I had forgotten how much work it was to get ready with a newborn.  I woke up at 6:00 and took my shower while Shawn was still home.  From 6:30 - 7:45 I was tending to Finn, either nursing or getting him dressed.  The appointment was at 9:30, but had to be there at 9:00 to fill out new patient paperwork.  I'm so glad Jase's alarm was set and he got himself dressed and came downstairs on his own.  What a blessing.  I got Ally up and dressed, fixed her and Jase's hair and brushed their teeth.  My sister came over and drove us to the appointment since I am not supposed to drive until next Monday.  We ended up getting out the door on time . . . miracle!!

Finn this afternoon
He looks completely different to me when he is asleep versus when he is awake.  And even when he is awake he usually has his eyebrows squeezed together and is so serious looking.  I happened to have my phone handy earlier and was able to get a shot of him relaxed without wrinkled eyebrows!!  This picture doesn't show it, but his eyes are a deep shade of blue.  Shawn has blue eyes, so I'm curious if he will as well.  Time will tell.

No comments: