Saturday, October 1, 2011

The 7 Tour

Last night Shawn and I headed to The House of Blues in Houston for The 7 Tour.  The main group was David Crowder band and three other groups/artists opened: John Mark McMillan, Chris August, and Gungor.

Date Night! :)
 
Oh Yeah!!
We got there a little after 6:00 and the doors didn't open up until 6:30...this queues the beginning of our standing night!  Walking into the HoB I noticed that Chris August was standing at the door, so I stuck my hand out and shook his hand and Shawn told him we were ready to jam!  He informed us that he was part of the welcoming committee.  If you do not know who he is, look him up on You Tube...hilarious.  He has this one song "Candy Wrap" that is so funny.  KSBJ plays two of his songs that I know of "7x70" and "Starry Night".  Great stuff.

John Mark McMillan started the show off.  He is the guy who wrote "How He Loves" that David Crowder Band recorded.  Great band and I will definitely be looking more into him.  Then Chris August came out and sang a couple of songs.  He kinds of reminds me of Warren Barfield with his sense of humor.  I'm sure he has a band, but it was just him and his guitar...loved it.

Then Gungor came out on stage and I had looked them up a few months ago after hearing a song of theirs at the Passion Conference in Ft. Worth.  This group is MEGA talented.  The main guy said they were asked to perform an acoustic set, so there was only 3 of them on stage: Michael Gungor played the guitar and he is married to Lisa Gungor, who played an array of instruments (xylophone, piano accordion, wind piano), and Kevin Olusola on the cello.  During the first song, the cellist was beat-boxing while playing...it sounded awesome.  Gungor recorded this song I'm talking about "When Death Dies"...check it out: http://youtu.be/9vHFsXOdTt0.  Then a few songs later, Michael and Kevin were doing some instrumentals and they rocked it.  So talented.  You can watch a clip I recorded here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33RzzUvG6V8.  Here is another clip of their song "Beautiful Things" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtHqp3Pt_as.

Chris August came out and played a few more songs and finished up with "Starry Night".  I love this song...such a great message.  "I'm giving my life to the only one who makes the moon reflect the sun, every starry night, that was His design.  I'm giving my life to the only Son, who was, and is, and yet to come. Let the praises ring, He is everything." Here is the first part of the song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABTfMvzEcU.

At this time it is about 9:45, still standing and the show is completely sold out, so we are packed in like sardines.  Crowder comes on and they play until 11:45.  It was like being at a worship service for 4 1/2 hours.  Great music and great messages.  At the end, all four groups were on the stage to perform "How He Loves" and we completely loved it.  John Mark McMillan starts the song off, Chris August is on the piano to the right, with David Crowder and Michael Gungor in the middle.  If you have 4 minutes, watch this http://youtu.be/g5rh41tyoh4.  The sound quality is not the best, but you will get the feel for the worship that went on.  There is something about live music, but there is something more about live worship music...stirs my heart so much.  Live music in general is by far the best way to listen to music in my opinion, but when they are singing about God's word and promises, it just brings it to a new whole level.

It was a fabulous night and I'm so glad that Shawn and I were able to go and experience it.  Especially since David Crowder Band announced earlier this year that they will be splitting up and going their own separate ways after this year.  We wanted to see them one last time and we are so thankful to have had this opportunity to do so.

No comments: