Monday, May 14, 2012

5U Astros Party

This evening we had our last practice scheduled.  After talking it through, we decided this was a perfect time to do an end of the year party for the boys.  200 water balloons and a slip-n-slide . . . the boys LOVED it!  What a great season we had.  While I wish we could have won more games, the boys had fun and they have definitely progressed from the first practice we had back in February to now for sure.


We kept the food pretty basic with pizza, popcorn, Cracker Jacks, and cupcakes!  I was trying to keep it someone baseball centered by having in the popcorn and Cracker Jacks.  I wanted to buy peanuts and a few other things, but you have to stop somewhere! I was very surprised at the amount of pizza my kids ate.  When events like this are going on, they are usually so preoccupied that they don't eat, but that wasn't the case tonight.  I think Jase ate 3 pieces of pizza!  Maybe he is having a growth spurt.

Below are the cupcakes I made for the party.  I really like how much the cupcake toppers add to the cupcake and make it pop visually.


Last night after coming home from my mom's, I got out the the cake mixes and other ingredients to make the cupcakes.  I start looking for my cupcake pan and realize that I do not have one!!  I had a pampered chef stone one, but it broke not that long ago and I guess I have never had a metal one.  Off to Walmart I go.  Then today I go to ice the cupcakes and the piping bag I have has a hole in it and the opening is too big for the tip and plastic coupling.  SUPER!  No piping bag, no problem though!  Just 3 household items and I am back in business: sandwich baggie, press'n seal and masking tape!! Definitely not the prettiest thing, but it worked, until I got the chocolate batch and it was a royal mess to say the least!  I actually stopped and thought what my best friend (who makes and sells cakes/cupcakes) and my sister (who has been into making cupcakes lately) would think.  I'm not sure if they would be proud or laugh! ;-)  At the end of the day, it got the job done!

No comments: