Monday, May 7, 2012

I'm not allowed

This evening after practice we went out to eat, frankly because I didn't feel like cleaning a dish!  I really need to devote one day (probably should be tomorrow) and pick up my house . . . it is past time.  While we were waiting on our food to come out, we were eating rolls (from Kelley's Country Cookin') and Jase asked for more butter (he is MY kid!).  I put some butter on a butter knife and handed it to him to spread on there.  He looked at me and Shawn and immediately said "I cannot have a knife".  I told him "it's ok, Mommy and Daddy are here and are watching you." He repeated "I am not allowed to have a knife."  Shawn explained to him again that it was ok because he is with us and he is getting bigger now, he is 5.  :-(  He took the knife and Shawn helped him spread the butter on the roll.  He was adamant about not being able to use a knife.

Yesterday afternoon we drove out to Katy to fellowship with all of the people (and families) that Shawn went with on his mission trip to El Salvador back in February.  It was a nice time and I'm glad that Shawn got to reconnect with them.  Jase played great with one of the boys, Nolan, who was around 10.  Nolan really took Jase under his wing and kept him busy the whole time.  On the way home we asked Jase what he and Nolan did upstairs (it was Nolan's house) and he started telling us about all his Legos and Wii.  Then he said that Nolan wanted to watch a show, but Jase told him that he was not allowed to watch 2 of them, one of them was Transformers.  Shawn and I smiled and looked at each other and told Jase that we were very proud of him for saying that.  He was not afraid to put himself out there and be honest with Nolan.

As a parent, it is great to hear Jase stand up and not be ashamed to admit that he is not allowed to do somethings.  Even though these were small things like using a butter knife or watching a cartoon, I love the courage and boldness he is displaying at such a young age.  I pray that his boldness continues to grow and he has no fear about telling people about Jesus.  We can learn so much from our children!

No comments: