Monday, April 23, 2012

Time to Thin Out

The garden that is. I planted way too many seeds and since most of them germinated, it was time to thin them out. I have been reading and if you have too many plants in one area then they can choke each other out. The best way I read to do this is to cut the plants you do not want, off at the soil. Some websites suggested digging all of them up and replanting them all, but I did not want to mess with the root system. I ended up thinning out the cucumbers and squash. I tried to do it with the lettuce, but they are in such small clusters I wasn't sure which plant I was thinning. This was so hard to do since that is the last thing you want to do is cut down plants when all you want to see is everything grow and grow. Hopefully this was the best for the garden.


Also, the weekend before last, Shawn put up a fence around the garden area to keep the dogs out of it. He did a great job on it and it serves its purpose.



No comments: