Saturday, June 30, 2012

Organization Underway & Meal Planning

Yesterday was another day in our PJ's until lunchtime.  We ended up eating a late breakfast and afterwards we went straight into the playroom to clean up.  It was past time . . .


Don't judge!!  But seriously, how in the world does it get this bad?!?! Wait, I know.  I have a 2 year old that doesn't know how to pick up after herself yet.  Haha!!  And some of it is probably Jase too, but the majority is definitely Allyson.  And this is probably over a time span of 2-3 days.  I was texting a friend and told her to call one of those organizational shows and sign me up!! Me and the kiddos probably spent 2-3 hours in there sifting through stuff, throwing things away and reorganizing the room.


Much better after it was all said and done.  I am hoping this will last us a few weeks or until Finn's arrival would be nice.  Shawn said they are not allowed to play in it anymore! ;-)

Today was a productive day.  Shawn and I rode out to IKEA to look for some things for the house.  We have basically moved all of Jase's furniture (2 dressers) out of his room to use in Finn's nursery downstairs.  So, that was leaving him with nothing, plus he really needs some organizational help for his Lego's.  We ended up getting him a dresser, an 8-cube shelving unit and a new table for his Lego's.  He has a Lego table (our old dining table) in there now, but is round and doesn't really work in the space, and we found a good/cheap one ($35) that matched his new dresser and cube unit, so we are excited.  Shawn finished putting together the dresser tonight and we are happy with it.  We went with a black-brown finish for all of his furniture and maybe at a later date we will go back and get him a matching headboard.  Hopefully tomorrow we will putting together the rest of the items and get him all set-up!  I'll post pictures once everything is put together and cleaned up.  I hope Jase loves it in there! :-)

We also bought an 8-cube shelving unit for the homeschool room.  We are fine in there right now on storage, but I think I will need something else very soon, plus it is nice and matches the other furniture in that room (birch finish).  The only thing we did not get that was on the list, were chairs for the homeschool room and Jase's Lego table.  I'll have to keep looking around for something that we really like; I didn't want to just buy something today and end up not happy with them.

Allyson lately has been a little toot at the dinner table.  She will turn her nose up at anything new and will even do it to food that you know that she likes.  If it's not fruit, bread and butter or a PB&J, then you have no idea if she will eat it or not.  Tonight I made them macaroni and cheese (I went all out!) and she kept pushing her plate away from her.  She kept telling me she wanted an ice cream sandwich . . . don't we all!?!?  I told her that if she doesn't eat all of her mac and cheese then she would not be getting an ice cream sandwich.  She kept pushing it away from her and I continued to explain to her that she would not get one if she did not eat all of her dinner.  And of course I have Jase sitting next to me, telling her to "watch Ja-Ja, he's eating like a big boy".  Haha!  Something finally clicked and she ate every piece on her plate!! She NEVER gives in, so this was a major breakthrough tonight.  She got rewarded with her ice cream sandwich (and Jase too) and loved every minute of it.  We also had some cupcakes that Aunt Alisha had brought over: super chocolatey with chocolate and peanut butter nutty bars on top . . . can you say HEAVEN?!?!  The kids split one after their ice cream sandwich and thoroughly enjoyed them!


Speaking of food, I have one more thing.  For years now, I've heard of people meal planning a week or a month out and it all sounded great, but I never really gave it any thought or effort to follow through.  Now sometimes I will plan out a few meals to cook each week, but if I'm being completely honest a lot of the time it is 4:30 pm and I'm looking in the pantry and freezer on what I can cook . . . not very efficient.  And it's not just dinner when this happens.  For breakfast I'll ask the kids what they want or I'll look in the panty and 30 minutes later we're finally eating.  As for lunch, we can get into a rut and they will eat the same thing every day, and I doubt they care, but I'd like to add a little variety for them.

With the baby coming and us starting up homeschool, I know we will be very busy.  I will be the first to tell you that I am not the most organized person in the world.  I know where things are, but they are not in an orderly fashion like I would love for them to be.  {I am really working on this.}  So, one of the things I will be trying for the month of July is a Meal Planner.  This past Monday I sat down with the kids and we talked about what they liked for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner and I made a list.  Then I used this template I found on-line and filled in our own meals.  For Monday - Friday we have breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner planned for the month of July.  I am super excited about this!!  Now it took me a couple of hours from start to finish, but this was my first time doing this and I do not foresee next month taking this long since I will already have a lot of our meals in place.  I am really hoping this will take all of the thinking out of daily meal planning since I did it ahead of time.  Now if plans change and we have to move things around, no biggie we will adjust.  And I did not plan for the weekends this month since they are usually busy and we are not always home.  Now when Finn arrives I'm sure we'll be home much more and I'll incorporate some weekend meals.  I also scheduled a leftover night each week and it landed on a Thursday or Friday.  We usually always have food leftover each night, so I didn't want to cook M-F and have way too much food.

Tomorrow I am going shopping for the first week of July and am looking forward to seeing how it works for us.  I really hope it is a hit for our family.  I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will have to check out your template. I do a weekly meal plan, but have never attempted an entire month. Let me know how it goes!