Friday, January 6, 2012

Is it Friday already?

Ok, so this week has completely flown by.  Shawn was off on Monday, so we hung out at Shawn's parent's home in the morning/early afternoon. He had family in town, so it was nice to see and visit them.  Later that evening we went to Jason's Deli...Jase always asks to go there.  It is so funny, out of all the places to eat, he will mention there and Texas Roadhouse the most.  Afterwards we went to Academy to get Jase some new running shoes.  We bought him some for Christmas, but they are just a little too big and after falling down inside the other day like 3 times, we were like "ok, they are a little too big."

Then on Tuesday, Shawn went back to work and me and the kiddos were going to do a little laundry and go to the grocery store.  I spoke to Shawn earlier in the morning and he started feeling bad.  He originally thought it was just a stomach issue, but it got worse and worse.  He ended up coming home a little before noon.  Poor guy, he could not get comfortable at all.  By this time, he was throwing up and the pain in his stomach would not go away.  I went ahead and took the kids with me to the store, thinking that maybe it would give him some peace and quiet and allow him to rest.

When I got back from the store, he was not in any better shape.  We decided to go ahead and take the kids to my sister's house and take him to the doctor (this was a little before 3:00).  We were a walk-in patient, so we waited for over 2 hours.  Hind sight, that was a waste of time, but I had no idea the level of pain he was in.  After being examined there and getting blood work done; his white blood cell count was high, meaning there was an infection, and the doctor suspected he had appendicitis.  Off to the ER we went at 5:30 pm.

The wait wasn't bad at all in the ER.  I felt so bad for Shawn, his pain was awful and he could not stop throwing up.  After a CAT Scan (and drinking literally a liter of Barium Sulfate...Shawn's company sells Barite in powder form to use while drilling wells, and he was about to drink a form of it), they identified that it was his appendix and it needed to be removed.  Once he got nausea and pain medicine in his system, he was doing much better and the pain and throwing up were finally behind us.  He stayed in the ER all night (half of the time in the hallway on a hospital bed and the rest of the time in an ER cubby room). 

The doctor came to visit early Wednesday morning around 7:30 and was ready for him in surgery.  The plan was to take the appendix via laparoscopy.  At 10:40 am the doctor called us back and told us that the appendix was pretty inflamed, but he was able to do it all laparoscopically.  That was such a blessing.  He stayed in recovery for a couple of hours because they were waiting on a room to open up.  That hospital was packed...not an empty room.  I went and picked up the kiddos from school and took them up to the hospital to see Daddy.  We spent the afternoon/evening up there with him and left around 8:15 pm.

I tucked both of the kids in their bed and I just relaxed in mine.  Then I heard Jase upstairs "Daddy come home.  Just please come home.  I don't want you to get sick anymore.  Just don't get sick again.  Just please come home.  Don't stay anywhere, come home.  I can't take it anymore."  Poor baby...he was really missing his Daddy.  Plus, there is no idea what all is going through his mind with Daddy staying in the hospital and that he just had surgery.  I went upstairs to talk and pray with him.  I stroked his little head and he finally calmed down and went to sleep.

Thursday morning we headed back up there and Shawn was released and we made it home around 2:00 pm.  Awe, to be home again with my whole family.  Shawn is doing very well and the pain is minimal, if none.  He has not had to take any pain medicine since arriving home, so that is a blessing.  It is uncomfortable when he bends or uses his stomach muscles or sneezes, which he just did and found out that it did not feel so great.

What a crazy week to say the least.  Not to mention, two funeral services, one cousin that got salmonella poisoning and another cousin that was jumped at an ATM.  I texted a friend earlier this week: "Dear Lord, keep us near."

So my "Is it Friday already?" title is the truth...this week has flown by.  We are praying for a smooth recovery for Shawn with zero infections.  We are also praying for those that have lost loved ones this past week.  May the Lord be your comfort and peace during this time.

On another note, do you ever have a hair that you need to pluck or a bump you need to pop...and when you finally pluck or pop it, you feel like a new woman??  Can I just share that is exactly how I feel?!  I have a small mole on my cheek that will grow a very coarse hair out of it every month or two and it drives me nuts every time it appears.  It's like I cannot focus on anything and am constantly feeling it and long to be in front of the mirror with my tweezers.  Call me crazy, but after it is gone I am so much more relaxed and that compulsive part of my brain is freed up.  I plucked that hair this evening, so I am in my happy place tonight!! :)

Have a great one!
Jessica

No comments: