Thursday, March 29, 2012

Terrific Thursday

Late this morning we ventured out back to try and plant our crops in our new raised bed.  As soon as we got out there it started raining on us. We stayed under the patio and I sorted the seeds and made markers for all the rows I was going to dig with Popsicle sticks and permanent markers.  The kids played under the patio together and Allyson wanted to shoot the basketball, but the goal was too high for her, so she got a little help from her older brother.


Sure enough we got a break from the rain, so to the garden we went.



I dug little rows for the fruits and veggies we have and tried to space them out as best as I could.  This is my first go at this, so I'm hoping something will sprout!  I read that a good rule of thumb is to line up three of the seeds in a row and that should equal the depth that you are to plant them at.  I tried my best, so hopefully some of them will take.


As I'm digging rows and hoping that the rain will hold off until I'm finished, I look over and the kids are swinging together on the teeter-totter.  It was so sweet to watch Jase get on there with her and watch them swing together.


All the crops were planted, watered, and properly labeled.  I planted cucumbers, eggplant, lettuce, squash, sweet yellow onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, a few types of tomatoes, 2 tomato plants, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, and strawberries.   I think that's about it.


All I can do now is water them and watch and wait for them to grow.  I have a LOT to learn about gardening, but I'm glad we finally did it!  We I picked up everything and we headed inside for lunch.  Not too much longer after we went in, we had a huge thunderstorm come on top of us.  I'm glad I went out there when I did and got it done.

After lunch the TV stayed off.  Some days I am better at limiting the TV than others, and today I am happy to report that the TV was off the majority of the day.  I was in the kitchen cutting and balling a watermelon (I purchased it from Walmart yesterday and it is super sweet) and I went into the playroom to ask the kids if they wanted some and I saw them coloring together.  I just love this.  They do not fight a lot (yet), but a lot of the time he does his own thing and she does hers, but I love it when they play together. :-)


While waiting on Daddy to come home I decided it was a good time to clip coupons; it would help declutter the kitchen table before dinner.  Allyson came and sat next to me and I started giving her things to look at.  I noticed that Disney has checks and in the stack of coupons I had, there were 3 or 4 different brands or forms.  She was in HEAVEN!  She loved staring and studying them.  She would tell me all the different characters and shows on the checks, she was into it.  Reminds me of myself when I was younger, I too loved looking at all of that.


When Daddy came home we ate dinner together and had a great evening.  Since we have been so busy with baseball lately, Daddy wanted to have playtime tonight.  Jase wanted to play hide-and-go-seek, so we all 4 played several rounds downstairs.  Allyson wanted to play Sesame Street match (surprise, surprise) and we played that afterwards.  While Ally and I were taking a bath Daddy and Jase played Battle with his Star Wars playing cards.  It was a great day from morning to night and we didn't even leave our home!

No comments: